Wednesday 2 February 2011

Jessica Harrison

I came across this artist and I am amazed by these furnature pieces she has created. She describes on her website that the materials she uses are 'mixed media'. The grotesque introduction of boderly hair suggests that the leathery fabric that drapes these minature furnashings could only be human skin. For me this work brings up suggestions of 'The Texas chainsaw massacre' and 'Saw'. I really enjoy looking at these pieces once the instant shock of grusome human skin is put to the back of my mind. In fact i like the idea that human skin may be used in this way, it really exposes the use of leather and how we can remove the notion that when we sit on our leather sofas, it is actually the skin of an animal that touches our clothed bodies.






No comments:

Post a Comment